Program Contact: Dr.Steve Shen
The Computer Aided Design (CAD) program offers graduates pathways into professional careers as technicians in architectural, civil, and mechanical drafting. Other career opportunities exist in Geographic Information Systems, mapping, surveying, and technical design.
The one year program provides students training in business, mathematics, and writing, as well as the following skills: computer aided design, geographic information and modeling systems; graphic communications and surveying. Graduates emerge understanding how to use computer aided design software to solve real world graphic communications problems in a team-oriented environment.
Regions throughout the Western United States continue to wrestle with issues involving appropriate infrastructure, land use, new development, subdivision, revitalization projects, and transportation systems. The demand for a workforce educated with the technical skills to assist architects, engineers, land-use planners and surveyors will continue.
As a STEM-related (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) career field, individuals trained in Computer Aided Design play a critical role in designing solutions for the economic and societal well-being of our world. Academically prepared students can complete this Certificate of Applied Science program certification in one year.
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Demonstrate proficiency in surveying equipment, GPS/GIS technologies, and computing systems to collect and analyze spatial field data
- Demonstrate the workplace skills of critical thinking, collaboration, effective communication, problem solving, and leadership
- Develop and produce engineering documents using computer aided technologies and hand drawn graphics
- Effectively utilize information technology as a research and productivity tool
- Solve technical problems involving mathematics at the level of college algebra
Related Job Titles
- CAD Operator
- Drafting Technician
- Engineering Technician
- Land-use Planning Assistants
- Surveying Assistants
Related Occupations (US-DOL Occupations Handbook)
- Drafters: www.bls.gov/ooh/Architecture-and-Engineering/Drafters.htm
- Engineering Technicians: www.bls.gov/ooh/Architecture-and-Engineering/home.htm
- Surveyors, Cartographers, Photogrammetrists, Mapping and Surveying Technicians: www.bls.gov/ooh/Architecture-and-Engineering/Surveying-and-mapping-technicians.htm
Further Educational Opportunities
The Computer Aided Design Certificate of Applied Science is a first step for individuals interested in building a technical skill set for a career involving engineering technology.