Academic Advising

Student Preparation

Students should plan on seeing an advisor early each semester to be prepared for the following semester prior to the opening of registration on CyberBear.  You and your advisor will review your progress and discuss course options for your degree requirements.  After you have been advised, your advisor will provide you with a PIN number that enables you to register for classes in CyberBear

You will not be given your advising PIN without an advising appointment. 

Academic advising is a partnership between you and your advisor.  It is important you come prepared for your advising appointment, and that you learn about your program's requirements and expectations.  We encourage you to take ownership of your academic plan, and to be a full participant in advising.  Along with reviewing the courses required for your selected degree, we recommend you utilize Academic Planner to begin to develop ideas for classes you would like to take. Remember to share your plan with your advisor via the "Share Plan" link at the top of the page of the Academic Planner.

Bring the following items for a successful advising appointment:

Returning Missoula College Students

  • Advising Checklist (Your personal "contract" with your advisor.)
  • Unofficial Transcript (Available in CyberBear)
  • Questions and Concerns

New Missoula College Students

  • Test Scores - writing and mathematics courses use an assessment-based placement system. Further information and instructions on registering for these placement exams is available on the Next Steps page under Submit a Writing Placement Assessment and Submit a Math Placement Assessment.  Print a copy of your placement scores at the end of each exam and bring them with you to your advising appointment.  This is essential.  We will not be able to determine if you have met the necessary prerequisite requirements for several courses in our department if you have not taken these placement exams.  Students who have taken math or writing on the main campus or at another college usually do not need to take these exams.   However, you will need to bring a copy of your unofficial transcript from your previous college with you to your advising appointment.
  • Transfer students from other colleges or universities will need to bring an unofficial copy of transcripts for all college-level coursework.  This is in addition to the official copy you submitted to the registrar to apply for transfer credit.  Sometimes it takes a while for paperwork to make its way through the system.  Bringing these materials helps us help you in the most effective manner possible. 
  • Concerns and questions

Faculty Advisors

Faculty in our department offer individualized advising services to students during their scheduled office hours.  For appointments with a faculty advisor, please contact Nina Broshar at 243-7805 or  

Distance Advising

The ACET Department also offers distance advising. Advising can be done over the phone or via email with individual faculty members. For telephone appointments with an advisor, please contact Nina Broshar at 243-7805 or

Common Course Numbering

The Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education has instituted a system-wide common course numbering policy to allow students to easily assess the transferability of classes from one Montana University System institution to another. This means that some of the courses you have taken in the past might have new prefixes and numbers. They will still count towards your program requirements. Use the translation guide to find the new numbers for only those courses that have been renamed and renumbered located here: New Course Number Translation Guide. Please contact your advisor if you have any questions about your graduation requirements.