Prior Learning Assessments
This fall we will begin offering the opportunity for students to take Prior Learning Assessments (PLAs).
What are Prior Learning Assessments?
Prior Learning Assessments are a process that allows any student to demonstrate knowledge, competencies, and skills in a particular field (or fields) and have that learning evaluated for college credit.
In other words, these are what you already know from the learning you acquired at work, in the military, or through your own intellectual pursuits (such as free online courses or other professional level courses) that may be at the college level. By demonstrating your knowledge, you may be able to avoid taking courses on what you already know.
Am I eligible?
To become eligible for PLA, you must:
- Be enrolled in a program of study at an MUS college or university. This means that you have already been admitted by the college or university and have declared your degree or certificate program.
- Make sure that any credits you earned at previous colleges and universities have already been evaluated and posted to your transcript
- Saves you significant time in completing your degree or certificate
- Saves you money because completing your degree takes less time
- Motivates you to keep moving toward your degree completion goal
What happens next?
If you are eligible, check back Fall Semester 2017 for more information on completing a PLA. For questions, contact Associate Dean Clint Reading.