Post Acceptance Requirements
Once applicants are accepted, they will receive a nursing program admission packet that will provide information on the required:
- Criminal Background Check
- National Sex Offender Search
- Required Immunizations
- BLS Healthcare Provide Certification
Criminal Background Check
- Verified Credentials Background Check - approximately $70.00
- Students who have consecutively progressed through the PN to RN program need not purchase another background check. Students who have had a break of 12 months away from the nursing program must complete the background check.
- Background checks are requirements of the clinical sites. Negative background checks may preclude a student from the clinical setting which will make it impossible for the student to meet the course objectives and the student will fail the course. Falsification will be considered grounds for dismissal from the MC Nursing Program.
- All students must also show proof of a completing an up-to-date BLS CPR for Health Care Providers training course approved by the American Heart Association.
The following immunizations are required prior to RN Orientation Day (approximate costs are included):
TB - Tuberculosis
- A 2-step tuberculosis testing using the PPD (Purified Protein Derivative); Quantiferon Gold; or chest x-ray (positive results will require a physician’s letter before a student can work in the clinical settings)
- Approximate cost for the PPD tests are $10.00 per PPD.
- vaccine (HBV) prior to beginning clinical experience with potential exposure to blood-borne pathogens (a three injection series is required and may be obtained at Curry Health Center at The University of Montana and other health care providers)
- Approximate cost for each Hepatitis B vaccine is $47.00 and approximate cost for the Hepatitis B titer is $15.00. Approximate total for the 3 vaccine series and the titer will be about $155.00.
MMR - Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Two measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination are required for any one born after 1957 and a booster for anyone born before 1957
- Approximate cost for each MMR vaccine is $75.00.
- Approximate cost for the MMR titer is $6.00 for rubella and $28 for rubeola.
- Up-to-date Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) vaccination
- Approximate cost for the DtaP is $44.00.
Flu - Influenza
- Influenza during appropriate season
- Approximate cost for the influenza vaccine is $15.00.
Admission or graduation from the nursing program does not guarantee obtaining a license to practice nursing. Licensure requirements are the exclusive right and responsibility of the State Boards of Nursing regulating professional practice. If students have concerns or questions, they should contact the Montana State Board of Nursing Licensing department at http://bsd.dli.mt.gov/license/bsd_boards/nur_board/board_page.asp
Successful completetion of Missoula College ASN-RN Program are prepared to sit for the NCLEX National Registered Nursing Examination. This does not guarantee Montana State Registered Nursing licensure.
Graduates are prepared for employment as registered nurses in acute and emergency care facilities, geriatric care centers, industrial settings, and in public and private health care agencies.
For more information please contact the Nursing Program Administrative Associate, Cyndi Stary, at (406) 243-7846 or firstname.lastname@example.org.