UM Writing placement

General Writing Placement Information

The majority of Missoula College academic programs include a writing course requirement. Students may register for writing courses based on their writing placement or transfer equivalencies. Students who do not have a writing placement score or transfer equivalency may elect to take WRIT 095 and not take the Writing Placement Test, before enrolling in WRIT 101 or WRIT 121.

Types of Tests Used for Placement

There are multiple types of tests that may be used to place students into the appropriate writing course. Students exempt from completing WRIT 101 or WRIT 121 at Missoula College are those that bring in a transfer course equivalent, a specific AP test, or have successfully completed WRIT 101 or WRIT 121 through a high school dual-credit program. 

Students who have taken specific SAT or ACT sections, or attended a Montana high school that participated in the Montana University System Writing Assessment program (MUSWA) may use those scores to place into writing. Students who scored a 3 or higher on the English/Language & Composition AP test are exempt from WRIT 101.  University of Montana students (Missoula College students are UM students) may take the Writing Placement Test.

UM Writing Placement Test

Missoula college students without a writing placement score or course equivalent are required to take the University of Montana Writing Placement Test before enrolling in WRIT101 or WRIT 121.   

The UM Writing Placement test is free and online! You can take it anywhere you have access to the internet.

To take the test: 

  1. Navigate to the UM Writing Placement on Submittable
  2. You will need your student ID number (790...) and your student email address.
  3. If you have problems logging in contact the UMOnline Technical Support Team. You can email or call (406) 243-4999, or (866) 225-1641 (toll-free)

Call 406-243-7826 or email if you have questions relating to the test or your score, or if you need help locating a computer to take the test.